Monday, November 05, 2007

Social Lubricants

I had too much to drink last night. I blame it on the gin. Normally I’m a beer guy, but recently I’ve come to realise that beer and abs don’t go together. If I want one, I’ve got to let go of the other. Of course I can’t let go of the beer entirely (that would be un-Dutch), but I can try and reduce my beer intake.

I just realised that the above paragraph probably sounds incredibly vain. Oh well.

Anyways, so I drank gin soda, as that was bound to be better for my waist line (if not for my brain cells). Gin soda has no calories, very little taste and a kick that would do a mule proud. In my case it kicked me right in the head.

I had a great deal of fun, I’m sure, but the next day I didn’t remember most of it (it made me coin a new phrase: Alcohol Induced Amnesia, or AIA for short) and the memories I still had I would rather have forgotten.

For instance, I remember running around with some dude’s scarf that he had been wearing with his Indian clothes and was obviously expensive. I also remember not remembering what the man I’d taken it from looked like. Fortunately I did manage to find him in the end and return the thing, but still a strange thing to do. A woman’s scarf, yes, but a guy’s scarf? Probably not the best idea in the gay capital of India.

Then I remember that I somehow managed to get the numbers of three of the hottest girls that had walked the ramp that night (the party was because of a fashion show and all the big media people and designers were there, something that made my drunken antics all the more painful the next day). I also remember telling at least two people. The thing is, I do remember one of the people I told that to, but the other person is but a silhouette in my recollection. It might well have been a complete stranger. I really shouldn’t be boasting about which girl’s phone number I got to a complete stranger.

Then there was the designer who I asked if it was hard being straight and a designer. An interesting question I thought at the time (and still do), but slightly inappropriate when you’ve only just met a person. He didn’t seem to have been offended or taken aback, (he said all the really big designers were straight, so it should be doable) but that was just pure luck on my part.

That’s the stuff I remember. I wonder what I don’t remember. I guess all there’s left to do is wait to see if there’s a reaction and hope there won’t be. What ever happens, it might be a good idea to drink a little less.

2 comments: