Thursday, November 08, 2007

Scripted

Since Monday I’ve pretty much been in self enforced exile. I’ve trying to write a script, you see, for a short film. The thing is that it’s a short film, which means you need to write a short script. You’d be surprised, but writing a short story is, page for page, massively harder than writing a long story. Each sentence has to carry so much more of the meaning that you’re trying to convey.

It’s been quite a journey and I’m only half-way done. Basically, I spent 48 hours – with the occasional break – sitting in my room. Now writing a short script isn’t so much about the actual writing as the process of deciding what to write; so most of the time I was just lying there, staring up at my ceiling fan. 48 hours is a very long time to be staring up at your ceiling fan, believe me.

In a way it has actually been a good thing that I have almost nothing in my room. That way there is little that can distract me from what I’m supposed to be doing. Of course, I did find distractions in books, solitaire and wiggling my toes, but that doesn’t compare to the amount of distraction I would have been able to find elsewhere.

The thing is that I need to finish this script as soon as possible. The reason for that is that we feel we must do something before we’ve all left Bangalore and making a short movie seemed ambitious, but doable. The sooner I finish the script, the more doable the entire idea becomes.

So, in a way, whether we believe Bangalore was a success or a failure currently depends on me. No pressure, though. None at all. Of course, I could just be being arrogant again and the only person that cares could be me, but sometimes it’s fun to have delusions of grandeur.

Alright, back to work.

3 comments:

  1. good stuff.

    i've had ideas for short movies in the past but never got around to writing them down coz maybe i thought there was no point in doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing doesn't need a point (though admittedly it does help)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you completely missed my point. but hey, you have your own opinion.

    ReplyDelete