Tuesday, October 10, 2006

On Motivation

I’ve got a serious problem with my projects. I start a whole lot, but I don’t finish very many at all. When I first get started I’m always filled with enthusiasm, but then when the project moves on I start to lose interest. Soon I go down from working on it every day to working on it every other day, then one day a week, soon it slows down even more and after a while it just stalls.


Take the book I’m trying to write, for example. I have now not written a word on it for over two weeks, having got distracted with a computer game. It’s (fortunately) still banging around in my head, which means there is still a good chance that I will restart it, but it worries me. I put so much effort into these projects to begin with, but it all comes to naught.


How will I ever get where I want to go if I can’t finish anything on my own? I can’t hope for people to always push me. I must learn to be my own motivator. I’ve had enough of twenty entry blogs spread around the internet that started with a good idea but never made it any further. I have to push myself and I have to use as my motivation, if nothing else, the fact that if I don’t then I’ll be stuck in obscurity for ever.


That is something that particularly frightens me.

No comments:

Post a Comment