Sunday, October 15, 2006

Helping Others Help Themselves

Last night I was thinking, as I got up for my regular midnight pee (small bladder, you know) that you never know who’s going to make it and who’s going to land flat on his ass. I thought about that for a while, especially in connection to my own current state of mind and finances and came to the somber conclusion that things could be better.

My mind had been set a thinking by the resent buy over of You Tube by Google. (I would link to a story, but even my mum knows about this one, so if you don’t know about it you should be ashamed of yourself and go back to whatever primordial puddle you only just crawled out of.) The amount of money given to the creators of that idea was just mind boggling. Just as crazy as for the creators of Skype (actually, in some ways I understood the Skype fees a lot easier than the fees paid for You Tube).

I came to the conclusion that you can never known what’s going to succeed and what’s going to fail. Then I started to think about this new website that had just been set up by my semi-brother-in-law (I’m not actually married to his sister, you see) and I wondered, is he going to make it?

Truth of the matter is, I really don’t know. He’s created an original idea, which I don’t fully understand (probably because I haven’t spent more than ten minutes actually looking at his site), so it could easily go either way. Probability dictates that he’s got a one in ten chance of moderate success, maybe a 1 in a 1000 for ‘never having to work again’ success.

Initially I thought that sounds like bad odds, but then I realised them’s better odds than in any lottery I’ve heard of! So I decided, lets improve his odds a teeny tiny bit (I don’t have enough pull in any circles to do more than that) by putting up his newly minted website on my blog. So I have (banner in the top left corner) and if he ever does get successful, well then I’ll have that extra bit of leverage when I come by his mansion in ten odd years, begging for scraps!

So if you want to do your bit for struggling entrepreneurs of the world (and my future begging chances) then, click, click, click away and visit Want to Trade. Remember, a little generosity goes a long way.

1 comment:

  1. haha, well i appreciate it a lot. for your info, i've also quit my job on fri the 13th, two days ago and will be running a teeny weeny IT shop i partially own at suntec city this november 1st.

    meantime, i'm just getting myself busy with the preparations. hope this one also works out.

    by the way, the WTT banner is on the top right of your blog, not left, as you stated ;)

    ReplyDelete