Monday, January 07, 2008

My life

Two days ago I decided to get up and go from Anjuna. I realised that I really just didn’t want to be there anymore. It just wasn’t any good without my mates. So I packed my bags and pushed off. It was one of those impulsive decisions. Those always seem to work the best for me. I’m now a couple of hundred kilometers further down south and I’ve found the most idyllic beach I’ve ever seen.

The place is called Palolem and though I might well help destroy it by talking about it here, it is a place that all of you have to see. It is truly stunning, with a curving beach that ends on one side with a rocky outcropping and on the other side with a place called ‘monkey island’, though half of the day it isn’t really an island, but more of a peninsula.

I was walking along the beach a couple of times, scouting out my new home for the next days when I got tackled by an English bloke who wanted to know if I had ever considered modeling. It seems they are looking for a model to take part in a TV advert and I might just fit the bill. That would make things a great deal easier for me, with a bit of extra cash and the possibility of earning even more. Will it happen? We will have to wait and see. I’ve now learned not to get my hopes up. Half the time they’re dashed anyway.

Yesterday a good mate of mine commented on my blog, saying that ‘it is time to settle down’ or something to that effect. He seems to be of the opinion that I’m wasting my life with parties, drugs and loose women.

He doesn’t seem to understand that a) I don’t actually do that many drugs, parties or women. It’s just that when I do them I talk about them here (more interesting than talking about going to the grocery store) and b) that you can still live a perfectly happy and profitable life on the move. Moving is in my blood. That will probably never change. It isn’t a sign of immaturity; it’s a sign of a different way of life.

I could never imagine a ‘normal’ life; wife, kids, car (probably a Mitsubishi), mortgage, house in suburbia, one and a half children. Christ, that would drive me absolutely up the wall.

There’s a great little analogy I picked up along the way. ‘Imagine you’re in an apple orchard. Every day you wake up and go to the same place to pick apples. What will happen? Soon the apples will run out and you only get tough little ones that haven’t ripened yet. If, instead, however you decide to go to different places in that orchard then you’ll always find new apples and your basket will always be full.’ I’m making sure I see as much of this apple orchard as is humanly possible and I can tell you I’ve picked some mighty fine apples.

The world is moving; the world is changing. Trying to live your life the way your parents did is like trying to ride a horse down the highway. You’ll get where you’re trying to go, but that guy that just passed you in his Ferrari will certainly get there faster.

4 comments:

  1. we have different definitions of "interesting".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, your mate was wrong to assume that you are 'wasting' your life. But then again, those who had chosen lives more 'normal' and 'boring' needn't necessarily be losing out on the fine apples that those living on the move you say get.

    An adage interesting to this thought process: a rolling stone gathers no moss.

    I'm not saying anything other than that there is always more than two sides to a coin.

    The key thing is, for everyone, as long they are enjoying their chosen paths and that nobody gets hurt along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think she got that idea from me, heh. i also believe the same. "do anything, as long as no one gets hurt."

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're both right, of course

    ReplyDelete