Thursday, January 25, 2007

Those life changing decisions

For a few weeks now I’ve been saying ‘I’m going to go to university! This September I’m going to start!’ I’ve looked at a couple of unis and have looked at their application process. I haven’t applied yet, however. I’ve been telling myself that it’s no problem, as most of the unis prefer that I apply in February.

Now I’m starting to think there might be another reason I haven’t applied yet. Maybe it’s because secretly I want to do something else. For many years now I’ve had it in mind to go on a world trip. I’ve always proclaimed ‘If I had the money and the time I would visit India first, then go on to Africa and then in one fell swoop do South America’.

Now I’ve got the time. If I start uni one year later then I’ve got more than a year. The money also shouldn’t be a problem. As I’ve matured I’ve noticed making money has become easier. So now might well be the best opportunity to do this.

Yet, should I put my work related life on hold for a year while I sit in the sun and lie on the beach? Better yet, is that what I would be doing? I mean, after all it should be possible to do some work even while I travel, right?

Should I go to university immediately, or should I do that life trip that might not be possible afterwards?

For some reason it feels a little like I’m at a crossroads. Here I decide what direction the rest of my life will take. Do I take the life of academia? Or do I, instead, opt for the life of the traveller?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. As much as I understand the interest and call of travel I think it is high time you got on with your study and took steps forward, rather than lateral. I say this with the utmost care and with your future in mind. From my pov you are a brilliant guy who has ideas that don't seem to get off the groud because of distractions that keep arising in your life. I say get grounded. -Taylor

    ReplyDelete