Sunday, January 07, 2007

Disney Delhi

What the fuck? The Singapore government is planning to destroy the only place left that actually has some soul in Singapore, namely little India. For some reason they just don’t understand that of the two forms of city growth, organic and planned, and you need both if you don’t want your city to be either too chaotic or too artificial respectively.

They're going to turn the last outpost of true organic growth into another one of their Planned, artificial projects, like they did with Sentosa, Clarke Quay and Bugis (better known as Disney on the Water, Disney at Night and Disney Shop).

And I had only just discovered little India properly too. It reminded me of real Asia, the places I loved while I travelled. It felt like the type of place where you could actually turn around a corner and be somewhere exciting and interesting, rather than seeing the same bland design that they like oh so much here, but really has so little soul.

They are sanitising Singapore. Soon they will expect us all to wear latex gloves, white will be the only legal colour and their debugging will expand to debirding, depollination and dehumanizing.

I used to be undecided about whether the world depicted in Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World was good or bad, but now that I’m living in it I can definitely tell you that it is bad.

Thank Luck I’m getting out of here.

No comments:

Post a Comment