Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Impressive

About a week ago I bought myself a new laptop. It was necessary, what with me often having hours off at a time from work and feeling I was wasting the time I had (especially now that the time to get home has gone up from just fifteen minutes to half an hour and inconvenient to others). Today I'm out and about for the first time with my new purchase and I decided to try and make use of the free WiFi all over the city.

This is a new experience for me, the last time I had a laptop A) the network was not very widespread yet B) the laptop only had about 10 mins of juice in it before it died (not terribly useful) and C) it weighed about as much as a small military convoy.

I had to 'shop around' for networks for a bit, but eventually found a good one that gave me free access (with no bloody registration). Then I did what I considered the ultimate test. I pulled up Peekvid and clicked on one of the movie links, which is probably the most demanding usage I make of the internet, and it worked beautifully. Pretty much as well as it does at home.

What does this mean? It means I'm no longer bound to a specific place. I am now a mobile/ global citizen. It's a fantastic feeling to be able to continue working anywhere in this city for the price of a cup of coffee.

Life only gets better.

No comments:

Post a Comment