Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The Luck Factor

I've just finished reading the book 'The Luck Factor' by Prof. Richard Wiseman and I have to say it was quite interesting. Basically the assumption of the book is that luck is something that we create through our behaviour and actions. His theory is that even though we can't control everything to do with luck, we can certainly make ourselves more lucky by behaving in certain 'lucky' ways.

This isn't just hocus pocus, however. He's based this on eight years of research. He divides luck into four basic principles, which in turn are all divided into several sub categories. The principles are:

Maximise your Chance Opportunities
Listen to your Lucky Hunches
Expect Good Fortune
Turn your Bad Luck into Good Luck

Now, I realise that sounds pretty vague, but suffice it to say that I'm convinced enough to give them a try and try it I can, because he doesn't just show us what the principles are, but he also shows us how to introduce them into our own lives. (I'm apparently weakest in principle two and three). His theory is that I should start seeing a slight improvement in my luck within a week and possibly a dramatic improvement in a month.

Self fulfilling prophecy? You bet! That, it turns out, is part of the entire point. You get the luck you expect, along with the luck you create for yourself.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment