Monday, January 29, 2007

The Luck Factor the Third

One of the things the Luck Factor advised was building up a network of luck. It said that the more people you know, the more opportunities there are for you to get lucky. That sounds reasonable enough, right?

Creating a lucky network, the book continued, requires two things. It requires getting in touch with people and staying in touch with people. When I read that I realised that I was pretty good at the first (though I could work on it a bit more), but that it was really the second facet of creating a network that I was bad at.

I decided to change that by following a piece of advice that the book actually gave. It said, every week from now on, get in touch with a friend that you haven’t spoken with for over six months. So I’ve been sending out e-mails to people from before.

The response has been amazing and very invigorating. One guy even suddenly up and left Holland and came to Singapore. I doubt having contact with me brought that situation about (he was invited over by somebody else) but it was still a pleasant surprise.

So I’ll keep sending out those e-mails and I’ll keep on reaching out. Even if the only thing I get is just surprised e-mails from the past that will be enough. The energy that I get from that will be hugely influential in the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment