Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sunday

So, as of yesterday I’ve been taken completely on board by the Silent Noise team. Last night I helped organise the loaning of headphones (if you don’t know the concept of Silent Disco, Google it, it’s quite innovative) and getting them back. I was on crowd control and I somehow still managed to get far too drunk; still, the organisers didn’t say a word and seemed quite happy with my performance.

Today I’m writing a press release for them, which they can supply to one of the major papers here in the area, who has decided to write a big article about them. I’m a little hung over, so it’s going slower than usual, but I’ll get it done. After all, I’ve written articles with a high fever, drunk and a whole other host of mental states, without any serious negative impact on the quality.

I guess you know that you can do your job well when you can still do it when you’re not a hundred percent. Of course, it’s better to try to be a hundred percent, but unfortunately life never works that way.

After the press release (and this blog entry) it’s time to work on university applications. I’ve found a couple of places where I wouldn’t mind studying, with my first choice being Social Psychology at the VU in Amsterdam. It seems to pretty much combine everything that I’m interested in. I’m just hoping they’ll accept me. I mean, my grades at uni were pretty good, but they weren’t brilliant (largely because all I did while I was there was role play, smoke pot and not go to class). I’ve basically only really developed a thirst for knowledge and learning in the last few years, but how do I show that to the application board?

I guess it’s going to have to be the same way that I got into my first university, which was through my motivational letter. I remember walking into the office of the dean who said ‘your motivational letter was very interesting, but we have no idea what you were trying to say’. I might not try that same trick again, but it is there that I have to shine.

Yup, I’m working on a Sunday. Of course, I don’t really have a problem with that, as the normal work week has not been a part of my life for well over seven months now. I prefer it that way; I like to work when I want to work, not when some clock says I have to.

Yeah, there really is no way I’ll ever be able to work in a standard office. I’ll either drive everybody else mad or commit suicide. For the life of me I can’t understand how all of you do it. I greatly admire your ability to do it, but I can’t understand how. Don’t you hate yourself every single morning as you drag yourself out of bed for yet another day under some other person’s thumb? I guess it’s all right to be under somebody else’s thumb if you respect them, but what if you don’t?

I’ve heard that bad bosses are the primary reason most people quit, while having a best friend in the office is the primary reason why people stay. I guess I can get into that. Ultimately it is all about who you share your life, your ideas and your time with.

And I seem to share all of that with you. Figure that.

3 comments:

  1. my "office" is great. it's at home.

    i only see my colleagues on skype. and our clients too for that matter.

    and my boss, unless i fly over to perth and get someone to drive me to his house, i never have to see him.

    on the flipside, so far he's shown that he's the kinda boss i'd like to work with.

    i agree with you and the research that your immediate superior is usually the reason why people quit.

    there's only been a handful of people i've been able to work with and for in the past.

    too bad they also happen to have bosses and they suck.

    i hope your application with the uni goes through. all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a home, so I basically work from internet cafes, real cafes and restaurants. That's alright (though a bit expensive, I have to admit)

    Thanks for the well wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to see your original motivation letter to your uni in NL. My experience there was similar, except that I just walked up to the office with my cv and transcripts in hand about 8 weeks before uni began and asked to speak with the dean. 40 minutes later he told me to book my flight back to NL and that I would be "a welcome addition." Little did he know! I wonder if the cowboy hat helped?

    ReplyDelete