Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Real Life Intrudes

Yesterday I sat down and took all the entries from three days before my trip till now. I had no idea how much I had written and was keen to find out how much it was. It exceeded my wildest expectations; I had written nearly 100 pages, or about 50,000 words.

It took quite a while to put them all in the right order (from oldest to newest). The idea is that I take all this stuff and turn it into a story, of some kind. I’m not yet sure when I’ll do it, but I think it might be a good bit of fun. Of course, I kind of doubt that anybody but my friends would be interested in reading it, but sometimes it isn’t necessary to do something for the whole world to see.

I’m also planning to use it as the ‘photo album’ of my trip. Since I haven’t taken any pictures, I’m going to have to make do with words to remember. I think it should work alright, though I suspect it won’t be a terribly effective remembering tool for anybody, but myself; though that is probably true of a normal photo album as well.

Since I haven’t read the entire thing yet, I wonder what kind of a feeling it will leave me with. Will I be excited, elated, melancholic, unhappy, upset, disgusted, irritated, embarrassed or something completely unexpected? Only time (free time, mind you, it will be quite a read) will tell.

For the rest I’ve been writing a great deal.

Last week I spent most of the week stuck on a specific point in my writing, fortunately I solved that about two days ago and I’ve been writing ferociously. That will keep going until I hit another road block and then once again I’ll have to just sit around and wait for the problem to resolve itself in my head (it’s kind of a passive process, much like a witch’s cauldron, where you’re never sure what’s going on inside, but you can be pretty sure something interesting is going to float up if you stir it the right way).

I guess the right word to use for my writing would be ‘sporadic’, which isn’t really a good word to associate with it, seeing as I call myself a writer (beach bum doesn’t have quite the same ring to it).

I should also really be working on applying to universities, but I’m already far exeeding my ‘things in a day quotiont’ for Palolem. Still, I feel bad about not doing it every morning, so I don’t think it will be too much longer before I get started on that. Bugger my guilt!

I concluded a few days ago that I’m not living the beach life anymore, but more a life by the beach. Real world responsibilities reach you even in Palolem; which is a good thing, as there is only so much relaxation one can do before it becomes stressful.

1 comment:

  1. congratulations on reaching this important milestone.

    ReplyDelete