Tuesday, February 19, 2008

House

I am the proud possessor of a house. Well, leaser of a house, but it’s mine. Yesterday I was over at the house of the people that I work for and one of them mentioned that he was trying to find a renter for a house. It was a two bedroom place, with a kitchen, a fridge, furniture and a veranda. I jumped on it and asked how much it would cost. He said six thousand rupees a month. I worked it out, that’s 200 roops a day. That is exactly what I pay for one room now. (200 roops is about 5 US)

I went and took a look and immediately took it; then talked to a friend who is looking for a new place herself and offered her the other room for half the rent. So, in other words, I get a room, a fridge, a living room, the company of somebody who’s fun and all that for half the rent I’m paying now! That is a sweet deal if I’ve ever heard one.

I’ve told all my mates down here that I’ve got a new place and we’ve decided that we’re having a house warming party tomorrow night. I have a slight suspicion that the party might well have to become a garden warming party as well, because – though the living room is reasonably sized – there are bound to be more people there than is reasonable. Here on Palolem people will take any excuse to have a party and this is one of the best excuses so far.

I’ve got a fridge! I can make my own food! I can buy my own beer! I’m using too many exclamation marks! I don’t care!

This will certainly make it harder to leave in a month and a half. Now I actually feel like I’m living here. I’ve got a job, I’ve got a house, I’ve got friends, I’ve got water in my ear (really annoying) I’ve got enough money to survive for the rest of my trip and I’ve got the application forms for my uni downloaded. That will start in September.

I wish I could make more money out here then I’m making right now, so that I could make the money I’ll need for uni out here. Why would I ever go back to live in a big city, which has apparently gone severely down hill, when I can live on a beach and make my bucks instead?

One step at a time. Let’s first see what the next few weeks bring, when I’ve done that I’ll decide where it’s better for me to go. Let’s just enjoy what I’ve got and not worry, for the moment about what I’ve got to do.

3 comments:

  1. good stuff, dude!

    half a freaking 5 US dollars is an excellent steal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nggggggg.... everything is working out and you have to LEAVE!? :P

    seriously, good luck with everything, keep doing what you're doing.

    somehow seems to work ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. Still, it might be time to go 'home' soon. A little bit of seriousness never goes a miss and though in some ways I'm getting somewhere, in other ways I'm lagging.

    It might be working, but is it really working?

    ReplyDelete