Friday, February 15, 2008

Glug glug glug

It feels like I’m back in Singapore. Last night, for the first time since I’ve been here (and the first time in Febuary for as long as people here can remember) it rained. One of those tropical rain storms that I got oh so used to in Singapore, but I was hoping I’d kind of left behind. Now it’s muggy, hot, humid and hazy; sweat is pouring down my face, the shade is just as hot as the sun and everybody is moving at a crawl.

The only solution is, of course, beer. (that’s the great thing about beer, it is pretty much a solution to nearly everything, including hangover, breakups, stress, boredom, nervousness, ugly women and – of course – heat.)

I haven’t had one yet, as I only really came to the conclusion that that was the solution as I was writing this, but I’m going to remedy that right now. Just a second, right back.

Situation remedied. A large cold one, with condensation beads rolling down the side. It’s a Kingfisher, which is probably the most palitable beer out here (I have to say, the Indians could take a lesson in beer-brewing; to think that this beer, which franky isn’t that good, helps support an entire airline is quite shocking, to say the least. Still, beggars can’t be choosers and this beggar likes to be a boozer, so I’ll go with what I can get.)

The rain storm last night hit during our newest attempt at a party. It’s a 60s – 70s disco themed party and many people were convinced that it had gone to hell when the rain started coming down. They were quite wrong. You see, what happened was that everybody ended up having to huddle under what ever cover was available and since there wasn’t that much available, it made people get much closer than they usually would. The consequence was that everybody started talking to everybody and a really great mood resulted.

When we turned the music back on, where before we only had three people on the dance floor, it suddenly flooded with people, who danced till the small hours (well, not that small, only 2:30). I’ve been trying to tell everybody that the best way to make a mood is to force people to be close together, so that they have more opportunity to interact. The most successful clubs I’ve been to have always done that (by keeping areas closed until the club fills up to a certain limit). Maybe now they will try to incorperate that into the rest of the parties.

Of course it might be hard, considering the big party is in a grassy field, which might be a little hard to block off, but I still think it should be considered.

This is probably of absolutely no interest to any of you, is it? Maybe I should just go drink my second cold one away from the computer (yes, the first one’s finished). Then I can sit and bitch about the weather, while secretly having a great time. Actually, I might possibly be having a great time because of the bitching. A good bitch never really goes amiss.

I’ll shut up now.

No comments:

Post a Comment