Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Lair

I checked into a room in Chennai that was advised to me by the Lonely Planet. The place was a bit run down, but it was clean enough and it had a nice view of a little lake by a temple, out back. I said ‘what the hell, I can always get a new room tomorrow’. I noticed that there was no mosquito net and that there were some pretty big gaps in the windows. I asked the boy that was showing me around if there were any mosquitoes.

‘No,’ the boy said, ‘there are no mosquitoes.’

It is now four o’clock in the morning and I am not exaggerating when I say that I’ve killed more than twenty so far. And the little fuckers are still flying around!

In order to kill them I just turned on the light and sat on my bed, waiting for them to sit down on me. Then smack! Dead mosquito. The first time I did that I must have killed about 15 in the space of ten minutes. I didn’t have enough hands to kill them all.

I tried going back to sleep after that, but they just kept biting me. Add to that that the bed is too short for me and not very comfortable, plus I haven’t had a smoke (which had apparently, without me realising it, become a big sleeping aid, as I’d been smoking before I went to sleep for the last few weeks) and I don’t think it’s very likely at all that I’m going to be able to get any sleep tonight.

I can’t believe that that boy just lied to me like that. He must have known there were mosquitoes. If he had told me, I would have gone out and got some spray (which admittedly I should have done anyway, but never mind that).

It’s the second confirmed time since I walked out of the airport that somebody lied straight to my face, without a pang of guilt. The first time it was a tuk tuk driver who told me straight out that a taxi was 475 rupees and his tuk tuk was only 300 to get into the city. I didn’t believe him, walked up to the taxi stand and was only charged 280 rupees to get where I wanted to go.

Will this happen everywhere I go? Do many Indians just lie to get what they want? I’m going to have serious trouble with that, if they do. I can’t stand liars.

My hand is covered with blood splatters from all the mossies I’ve killed. I can’t wash it off, because the water has been turned off. This is turning out to be one hell of a first night in India.

Well, at least things can’t get much worse, right?

Famous last words.

3 comments:

  1. You are in India...what did you expect?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are you trying to say? That Indians are liars? That India is full of mosquitoes? That I should assume that the stereotypes about India are true?

    And how did you know that, exactly? Have you been here? Or are you basing your assumptions on hearsay and other people's tall tales?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just commenting on what I thought were commonly understood stereotypes on Indians, they way they do business, conduct themselves, etc. It is also based in part on my experience working with them in the USA, and Russell Peters.

    ReplyDelete