Saturday, August 18, 2007

Bored out of my skull

I haven't really spoken to anybody for about 24 hours. Some of the people on the street try and I had a short conversation with this mediation traveller chick from holland, but for the rest it's been just me, myself and I.

Unfortunately I'm far to dependent on social interaction to be very good at that. It's kind of funny, I desperately crave social interaction but find it very hard, recently, to just talk to people. Even when people talk to me I'm generally very reserved and distant. It's like they have to prove that their interesting before I'll engage.

Which is an interesting counter point to this mediation traveller chick from holland (hereafter MTCFH, which is unpronouncable but at least readable), who was completely open, outgoing and spontantious. Her body language (I'm currently studying bodylanguage in a couple of e-books I downloadeD) was completely open and with no holding back. I could see that she met a lot of people and made a lot of friends.

Of course, it isn't totaly my fault as the place I'm currently staying is is competely devoid of people I would normally start a conversation with. The only people here are old, families or couples. They are not interested in me and I'm not interested in them.

Tomorrow night this big budhist festival starts and I originally came down to see that. The unfortunate thing about it is that it is that the government has installed a ban on all alcohol for the entire duration. That means that all the pubs, bars and clubs (places where I normally find it quite easy to meet people) are all closed.

I know nobody, I can't drink, there is nobody at my guest house to talk to and there are no interesting things to do as far as I can discover (and I've asked). I am, in other words, looking at a second night of sitting in my hotel room, smoking spliffs and wanking.

I think I'm going to piss off tomorrow (bugger the festival), but I have no idea where I'm going to go. I don't want to go back to colombo and I don't want to end up in yet another place where there is nobody to talk to.

Oh woe to the poor lonely travelling backpacker that is me.

Yeah, I know, I really don't have anything to complain about, but when you're bored you need something to kill the time, right?

1 comment:

  1. u know sometimes i just wanna not say anything to anyone or answer my phone. actually, arie suggested this to me. cuz people do spew a lot of shit and the civilised way is to say some more shit back.

    people dont say meaningful things anymore. although it can be impractical, i agree that this is the case sometimes.

    u hv the perfect chance to not do this. i say, stay for the festival and expect nothing.

    but dont do nothing. get out there. watch, observe, stop, look, take some chai. use up all your senses & spirit but expect nothing.

    wish i could do that.

    i think i will soon.

    ReplyDelete