Sunday, July 22, 2007

The Growing Storm

Last day in Singers. Tomorrow I’ll be leaving the country at 2:30. Sorting out my last little details. Saying my last goodbyes. It seemed years away, two weeks ago. I can’t quite believe that it will all be over tomorrow. Goodbye Singapore.

And what next? Well, first a little beach in Sri Lanka. Then? I have no idea. It’s brilliant and frightening at the same time. A little like being in love, except less sex.

In my story I’ve also progressed to the leaving day. That’s moving along quite nicely. Only 15 pages, so far, but I’m quite happy with (some of) what I have. I’m sure it will all change before long, but at least I’ve got an idea of what I’m doing.

People have started asking me what I’ll miss most from Singapore. I have answered back that except for my family and my friends I really don’t know. I guess the efficiency might be sorely missed. I missed that when I went to Australia. Of course, is Ausie land I was very much dependant on efficiency in order to survive (I was that poor). This time it’s a different matter. This time the cash is there.

Am I prepared for my trip? Physically, I’m more prepared than I’ve ever been. I’ve got cash, equipment, virtual copies of all my documents, I’m in good health, I’m physically fit and a I’ve got a goatee. What more could I need?

Mentally? Well, I’ll just have to wait and see.

Many people have expressed their admiration and concern over the fact that I have absolutely no plans. They say things like ‘I can’t travel like that’ or they just look at me strange after I shrug my shoulders to their question ‘so, where are you going?’. It might have something to do with the fact that I’ve just killed the conversation (very unsocial of me, I freely admit), but I think it’s more than that.

If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favourable."

-Seneca

That is, of course, unless you’re just willing to go where the wind wants to take you. Where, I wonder, will this gale blowing through my life take me? Where will I be beached next?

1 comment:

  1. By the time you read this, you will be on the tiny beach in Sri Lanka.
    July 22 '07 seemed liked special day for at least you and me (not too sure about Lian) - it was your last day in Singapore while I spent it in Parc Guell, Barcelona, Spain.

    Send my a postcard from wherever you are: from now until mid-Sept to Patricea & Roberto Capodieci, Via E.Dandolo 18/A, 30170 Mestre, Venezia, Italy

    ReplyDelete