Thursday, May 08, 2008

What Motivates Me?

The last few weeks have been spent thinking deeply about what motivates me for the obvious reason that I needed to tell the people at the university exactly that and if I have to tell them, well then obviously I have to know.

The problem is that I’m pretty sure that the answer I came up with, self improvement, will not go down too well with the board; for the simple reason that they’ve probably heard it a hundred times before and didn’t believe it the first time they heard it, either.

Which is bloody annoying, because in my case I actually realy do mean it. My life ambition has become self-improvement, with the underlying ambition of being recognised for my accomplishments. Of course, that you really, totaly and absolutely can’t write in your letter of motivation. It’s a bit like them asking ‘why do you want to work for our company?’ and you answering ‘because I want money, your money specifically.’ I can think of worse things to say (e.g. I want to get close to you so that I can sleep with your daughter, wife and/or dead grandmother) but not many.

So why does it matter that I don’t want to tell them something they’ve heard a hundred times before? Isn’t it a good idea to go with the tried and proven? Well, no. I can’t play it safe as I don’t actually qualify for their study. If I play it safe they’ll pick somjebody else who played it safe who does actually qualify.

So I have to hit them with a whopper of a letter that makes them think, ‘hey, maybe we should invite this guy in for a talk’. Once I’ve accomplished that, I’ll be that step closer. From there it will be just a matter of talking my way inside (yes, just. It might not be just, but I’d rather worry about one thing at a time (well, twenty things, I’m also worried about not having a job, not having a bank account, not having a house, not being registered in Holland, not having a great deal of money and what I’m eating for dinner; but that’s not what I’m writing about in this post – stop distracting me!))

And now you’re expecting me to tell you how I’m going to do that. I would tell you, but unfortunately I don’t know yet. I wrote one recomendation letter, but it was turned down by two ‘editors’ so I’ve been forced to do it again. Once I’ve got a result, I’ll be sure to share it with you all (once it’s got me inside, that is).

4 comments:

  1. Tell them you are a Republican from Texas, it worked for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think when they see me they're going to realise that maybe, possibly, I'm not exactly telling the truth when I say I'm a Republican Texan (bit of an unnecessary repetition, if you ask me)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have your own way of thinking outside the box.

    don't do anything different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, but what - in this case - is the same?

    ReplyDelete