Friday, May 02, 2008

Bumpy

And then things start going wrong. They have to, of course. Things always go wrong when you just arrive in a new place. Yet it still remains frustrating when it happens. This one’s an interesting one.

I can’t get a bank account until I have a house where I’m registered; I can’t get a phone until I have a bank account and it’s rather hard to get a home (or a job) without a place for people to call. I can’t register a new phone on my mother’s or my sister’s account, because neither of them have bank cards (weird, but true) and I can’t get a pre-paid because me phone is completely flat and my charger is lying in Germany.

Hmmm…

Of course my mother didn’t tell me she didn’t have a Dutch bank card. I assumed she had one and she assumed that because we’re all part of the EU a German card would do. Both reasonable assumptions, but both wrong. We spent an hour and a half deciding on what deal would suit me best, before we discovered the error of our ways. The lady in the shop tried to do it with the German card, but alas, no bananas.

I also discovered that the course I want to get into in university requires a GPA 0.3 higher than I had first thought, which puts me firmly out of reach. Of course, the that doesn’t mean I can’t attend (seeing as it’s seven years ago that I did attend, so hopefully there’s some scope for extenuating circumstances), but that didn’t help terribly much either.

My mood, as you might suspect, is a bit down once again. Hopefully that will all resolve itself this evening as one thing I did discover is an affordable gym (I’ve really noticed I crash damned hard if I don’t go to the gym regularly anymore – which basically means I’m now addicted to exercise. Well, I guess there are worse things to be addicted to).

Fight the dip is what I keep telling myself. There’s no time for self-pity or depression now. I have no job, nor much else to fall back on. Keep on going and find solutions. After all, all the problems so far are not that difficult to solve.

I’m just worried that with so many problems already looming, what more is going to come along? These are all problems that I could see coming and there’s always at least one major problem that you don’t see coming. What, I wonder, will that be? I guess we’ll see.

Fight the dip – find the strength. Hopefully if I can just keep telling myself that, the next time I look up I’ll be out the other end.

Somehow I doubt it.

1 comment:

  1. good stuff will happen when you least expect it.

    i hope you'd maintain your level of positiveness for when it does.

    ReplyDelete