Monday, March 31, 2008

The Vortex

I’m back in Palolem. I’ve always seen other people get sucked back, but I never thought I would be back here. The exit permit is going to take till Friday and flying on the weekend is expensive, so I decided to fly next Monday. I had a week to go and didn’t want to spend it in Bangalore. We (as in the person I came to Bangalore with) decided to go back to Palolem. We grabbed the night bus, which cost us 13 US. 13 hours later (nice coincidence) we were back in Palolem. Sunday evening I’ll do the same thing back to Bangalore, pick up my exit permit and fly to Frankfurt.

Was it a good idea? We’ll see.

My first aim is to stay away from everybody else. That might be a bit of a challenge, seeing as news about who leaves and comes back travels fast on this beach; but I’m still going to give it a try. I am really going to try to take it easy and write the things that still need writing. Fortunately, that will be a little easier than last time as the beach has really nearly completely emptied. There’s not a lot of temptation when there’s nobody left to tempt.

Plus I picked up a whole bunch of books that I really want to read, so hopefully they’ll keep me out of trouble. A couple more days no the beach, while I wait for my exit permit to be processed and then back home with everything ready and done.

Today I spent most of my time trying to fix the pump to my old house. Other people have moved in, but I’ve convinced them that it’s a good idea to let me share the house with them; much cheaper and a great deal of fun. We had to make a whole bunch of trips to Chowdy to get everything together (Chowdy being the nearest town) and still we couldn’t do it, but fortunately the villagers took pity on us and decided to help out. Now, with a few extra parts, we’ll have water again. Then we can cook, live cheaply and banter endlessly.

Slowly my letter of motivation is gelling together in my head. I’ve already got a whopper of a first paragraph. When I finish it I’ll be sure to throw it up here. The only condition being that you only use it after I’ve been accepted into Uni. After that it’s free game, ladies and gentlemen.

Today I left my book lying around somewhere and somebody asked ‘who’s reading physics for fun?’ It was a book about why, for scientific reasons, computers can never become sentient like we are. I guess my reading of that book just reaffirms my status as geek. The great thing is, I get to hide it and people think I’m actually cool (and ultimately, being ‘cool’ is just a subjective matter anyway, so I don’t even have to discuss whether I’m cool or not; the fact that they think it makes me so.)

And that’s it for the disjointed thoughts spewing forth from my head today. Oh yes, my leg is much better, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment