Sunday, March 02, 2008

Comment

I’ve decided to change my comment setting on this blog so that anybody can comment. The reason? I’ve come to realise that most of the people that read my blog aren’t actually bloggers (or have a google account, for that matter) and that even if they do want to say something, they obviously can’t. Since I’m a feedback junky (a quick bit of feedback in the morning to get me through they day) that won’t do at all. Besides, I’m sure lots of you people wildly disagree with a lot of what I say. So now, have your say. Come on, don’t be shy.

Hopefully I won’t get attacked by spam, trolls and nonsense; if that’s the case, I guess I’ll just have to switch it back. But I’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Two days from now I’ll be heading up north to help organize a party in the Russian controlled area of Goa. The story is that that should be quite an adventure. The last time they tried to organise a headphone party up there another club owner got jealous, paid the police a shockingly big amount of money and had the entire thing closed down; despite the fact that the police had no actual valid reason to do so.

Of course, the police are the biggest organised crime group in Goa, so they don’t really need to give any real reasons for anything they do. (I’d go so far as to say that if I’d have a problem in this town I’d go to the crime families before I’d go to the police, as you can simply trust the families that bit more).

But back to the party.

so they are going to try again, with the Russians that own the club forking out a sizable sum to keep the police off their back (I have no idea about figures, but it’s a lot) and the Russian party crowd getting ready for a night of fun and mayhem (I think in the Russian mind those two ideas are unavoidably linked).

The guys that went up there before say it is quite a sight, especially considering the Russian’s interesting fashion sense. Women in skimpy clothing gyrating on bar stools, men with one pant leg rolled up and tied off with a handkerchief (weird!) full makeup on the beach, big beefy guys that are completely involved with the mob (and are completely off their heads on their day off) and, of course, the Russians are absolutely loaded. There were some at the party last night and where the rest of the tourists bitch and whinge about the cost of one headset, they’d just get seven and pull the seven thousand rupees (about 200 US) off a stack that didn’t look any smaller for it.

Different cultures, different norms; and what intriguing norms they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment