Saturday, March 29, 2008

City Talk

This city is driving me absolutely up the wall. Fortunately I’m here in the company of a girl who also needed to get her visa sorted, so I still have somebody with me whom remembers the Palolem spirit. Of course, this being India, getting the visa sorted is taking much longer than it should and we’re being forced to wait around. We’re now considering disappearing off, out of Bangalore for a couple of days while things get processed. Our idea is to go to the airport and just buy a cheap ticket to somewhere less city like. Possibly back to Palolem.

That might mean I can’t celebrate my birthday with my parents, as I might come back only the day after or the day after that. Roll with the punches, as they say. No, don’t worry, this won’t impact my university application. I’ll still be annoying the piss out of those people even from the other end of the world (There is one thing that India has certainly taught me and that’s tenacity. If you’re not tenacious in this country, you can forget getting anything done.)

I used to be a city person until a few months ago, but living on the beach in Palolem I’ve really got a taste for smaller, more tighter communities, a calmer life and the ability to actually walk everywhere. Cities (especially Indian cities) are dirty, crowded, smelly, crazy, hectic, anonymous and oversized; Until recently that was exactly what I liked about them, but now I’m not so sure anymore.

Truth be told, that might just be a phase. As you all well know by now, I continuously and constantly go through different phases (almost all tainted with negativity). I wonder if that’s the same for everybody. I don’t really know, to be honest, but that might well be because I don’t really have (take?) the time to read other people’s blogs. For somebody that claims to be a people person I realise I’m very self-absorbed.

Just look at these last couple of entries on this blog. All they’ve been about is me; which isn’t that unusual, but normally I like to throw a little bit more philosophy, psychology and general thought-analysis in there. Oh well, when this hectic time is over (and I’ve finished Pinker’s book) I’ll have more time to talk about those types of things. If I get into university, I’m pretty sure I’ll drive everybody absolutely insane with my philosophical ramblings.

So don’t give up on me! I promise I’ll post more regularly and more interestingly in the future. I’ll get back to my old self. Actually, you never stop being yourself, really; who you are just changes (day by day, if modern psychology has anything to say about it).

So be good, be patient and be happy with who you are; after all, you don't get to be anybody else. God, that sounded like it came straight out of a fortune cookie.

2 comments:

  1. dude,

    pick up the e-communists' "style guide" when you're at the bangalore airport... it's in the bookstore in the waiting area. cheap too! you'll probably only find it in the international departures area tho.

    as for a place to hang out, why not go for kochi, kerala? they're commies too!

    enjoy the many upcoming transitions... in some ways, they're my favourite part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. stay the way you are.

    it's exciting to "watch" you... for want of a less gayish word, blossom

    join the late bloomers' club.

    ReplyDelete