Saturday, December 22, 2007

Plans and Reality

I’m sitting in the car, a bit punch drunk from too little sleep, too much alcohol and too many hours on the road. We left at six in the morning. We were told that it would only be a six hour journey, ten if the traffic is really bad. The traffic has been great and it is now three thirty. That means we’ve been going for nine hours and we’re not there yet.

Originally the plan was to go down to Goa on a bike with a friend. This is the same friend who drove us to Nandi Hills. Then we somehow arranged a car and were planning to drive down (four of us plus the driver) and then he went and got into a fight. He broke his nose and he’ll be coming down to Goa four days later.

This guy has a natural talent for having weird things happen to him. That’s part of the reason he’s fun to hang around. At least you know it won’t be an ordinary experience. I’ve done ordinary and I’m all game for new stuff. In this case the new experience is that he’s not actually here with us in the car.

He was also, however, the person who told us that we’d be on the road for only six hours, so that I’m not too terribly happy about. I think if it takes us much longer I’ll wait till his nose is healed and then break it again. I can’t imagine having to do this trip on the back of a bike. It would have been quite a drain, I imagine. It’s been more than draining enough already, though admittedly drinking all night last night and not sleeping might have something to do with that.

We weren’t able to do the editing yesterday; so now the producer, the assistant director and the director of photography are sitting together in an editing booth doing the editing. I wonder how it will turn out. Sometimes they call me for advice on specific shots, but in general the ball is now in their court.

Personally, though this was not the desired situation, I think it might actually work better this way. These guys don’t know the stuff that’s all going through my head, so they can judge the material much more objectively than I can. They can say ‘but wait, this doesn’t make any sense’ and then try to do something about it. I’ll just have to wait and see how it turns out. Its kind of nice not to know what it looks like. Then I can imagine it’s absolutely brilliant for a while longer.

It might actually be absolutely brilliant, the only thing is that it was my first time out so it’s very possible that it isn’t. I’ll have to wait and see, probably for quite a long time too.

No comments:

Post a Comment