Sunday, December 02, 2007

on energy and criticism

Today I had a very invigorating conversation with the actor of our piece, his friend (a camera man) and our producer. Yes, we now have an actor (it was confirmed a short while ago).

The thing is that when you write a piece you can never quite disassociate what you think you’re saying from what you’re actually saying. For somebody who’s just reading the script that is, of course, not the problem. They only get what you said, filtered through their own perception.

Some preconceived notions about how I saw the short were obviously wrong. I thought there was a number of elements playing through the short that were simply not there; while there were certain other elements that I hadn’t even considered that were there.

I have to say, receiving criticism on your work is never nice, but I tried to take it as best I could. Now I have to sit down again (tonight preferably) and rework the script to incorporate those suggestions of theirs that I think might improve the script. First, though, I have to sit down and actually decide which of their suggestions might actually improve it. It looks like I’ve got a hard night’s work ahead of me (I say night, because the day is far too busy with meeting – by the look of things – to give me time to really work on anything much except my conversational skills).

Still, things are more positive now. I’m reinvigorated about the project, with the slight dejection of the last few days slowly fading. Slowly we’re cutting down enough of the trees to see the forest once again (even if it may be a little smaller).

Our date of shooting has now been set for the 20th of December. It’s nice to have a date to work towards. In that way at least there is an obvious end in sight for the entire thing. When you know something is going to end, it makes it that much easier to last through the time that still remains; something along the lines of ‘this too shall pass’.

Three more weeks. The question then becomes: will I be better off before that deadline, with work to do and something to look forward towards, or will I be better off after when my worries – and my drive – drop away.

Only time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. that last question of yours, i'm kind of facing the same thing too right now.

    it's getting harder to motivate myself where work/career is concerned knowing that it's not what i want to do eventually.

    i can't wait to get to the bit where i get to do my own thing, properly this time.

    i'm like a fighting dog raring to go and all, only that i have this chain around my neck holding me back.

    ReplyDelete