Friday, September 14, 2007

No pain, no gain

I’m in a great deal of pain. Thursday and Friday (as in yesterday and the day before) I went to the gym for a total of three and a half hours. A trainer has been arranged for me and this guy’s a bit of a masochist. He gets you to push yourself to your limits and then asks you to push yourself a little more.

The place I was in was air conditioned and everybody there seemed to be doing alright with the temperature. Everybody, that is, except for me. Both days I was absolutely drenched with sweat; so drenched that I needed to hang out my shirt to dry, just so that my bag wouldn’t end up stinking of sweat along with all the other lovely scents that have gathered in there over the last month and a half.

Now my whole body is sore; my chest, my upper and lower arms, my legs, my back and even my throat. No, he didn’t find some mysterious muscle in my throat that he felt needed training. Instead I’ve got a throat ache. I think I got it from a combination of getting caught in a rain storm the other day (even my underwear was drenched) along with the suppression of my immune system that happened as a result of the hard training. I’m glad that the dude isn’t available for the next two days, so that I can at least get some rest.

But that’s not all. I also almost managed to electrocute myself. You see, my room is not exactly rain proof and it’s been raining a great deal over the last few days. It’s not like my room gets absolutely flooded, but puddles do seem to form. My charger, unbeknownst to me, was lying in one when I decided it was absolutely essential that I recharge my laptop. I plugged it in and immediately a charge started to build up all over the laptop, which I was holding. I got three nasty shocks before I was able to pull the cord out.

Of course I am stubborn, so half an hour later I tried again (hoping that by this time the plug had dried). One more shock made me aware of the folly of my ways. I gave up on the charging till the next day. Fortunately only my ego (and possibly my nerves) were harmed and my laptop continues to function well.

No pain, no gain. At least now I know I’m going to get a little stronger, a little huskier and a little wiser about using wet electronic devices. It’s about time. I’m almost thirty and I’m still perfectly capable of electrocuting myself. I have the feeling that as the rate I'm going I'll be long dead before I'm wise.

1 comment:

  1. haha, i'm experiencing the exact opposite over here in seattle. the cold and dry is killing me!

    loobz (people call me leo over here for simplicity)

    ReplyDelete