Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Deja Vu

I’ve been picked up by a modelling agency in Bangalore. As I’ve told all of you I’ve been hanging around with some interesting people and one of them said ‘why don’t you go meet this guy, he’s one of the top stylists in Bangalore and blah, blah, blah.’ I no longer have any pictures, or anything from my modelling time, but I did have a great deal of time. So I thought, ‘why the hell not.’

I was given the address of the place and I got horribly lost. Of course it had to be a hot day, so by the time I arrived there (I walked again, like usual) I was absolutely drenched in sweat. I didn’t give a damn, as I thought my chances of getting any work were pretty slim anyway, without a book. So I just walked in, put a big friendly smile on my face and said ‘hi, my name is Symbol, Blah from Blah called you yesterday.’

He looked at me for a few seconds and then asked ‘do you have a book?’ I said ‘no, I’m travelling so I didn’t think I’d need it. Anyway, I haven’t modelled in a couple of years so they’re out dated.’ He looked at me for a moment longer than said, ‘we can use you.’

That, as you might have figured, was not the answer I was expected (with sweat gushing from my face and the front of my shirt wet with sweat). I stopped myself from talking for a few moments, in case I’d stutter and then just said ‘cool’.

That same evening the dude took some new pictures (to send to clients) booked me for the Bangalore fashion week (which he was managing anyway) and got me two shows. The next day he got me a free one year gym membership with a local place and told me I have one month to get in shape.

I love dead lines. They push you to perform. Getting into shape will be a fantastic thing, even if I don’t get any work. But I have the feeling this bloke is pretty serious about using me (he’s already expended a lot of effort on my behalf).

I guess there just aren’t enough white models in India right now. Apparently they fly most of them in from outside. Using me would mean not paying for the air tickets, accommodation and babysitting. That, not surprisingly, is an enticing offer for any stylist cum event organizer.

So what does that mean? Well, I suppose it means I’m going to be sticking around Bangalore for a while longer. I’ll have to make short day trips to the surrounding area. That doesn’t bother me, though. Bangalore is filled with excellent people and I’m sure I’ll even learn to deal with the 11:30 closure time.

Plus there’s a ton of cheap book shops around the city, so I can pick up anything I want to read. I paid four Sing dollars for two books the other day! And if things go wrong? Well, then I’ll just go back to my original plan and keep moving. It’s great living out of only two backpacks. It only takes about an hour to leave almost anywhere.

3 comments:

  1. you sly dog!

    do they have female models in india yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, only fat men with big mustaches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's deja vu for me too. suddenly i am working in a kitchen again. i was trying to avoid that. haha.

    haven't done this in a while myself, very rusty but got to pick up my game real fast.

    and hey, i live out of two bags too. never had so few things to live with all my life!

    ReplyDelete