Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Self Improvement

This has been playing around in my mind quite a while now, why do I have such a low readership on my blog? I mean, I’m very happy that I’ve got a couple of regulars that come in and read my ramblings, but what can I do to turn a couple into a couple more? I doesn’t need to be a torrent, but the current trickle is a little below what I would like.

Is it that I’m not as good of a writer as I’d like to believe? Are my sentences too convoluted and complicated? Am I being too wordy in how I write? Are my topics inaccessible? Are my ideas just too theoretical and just not interesting? Do I dictate too much and ask too little? Is reading my work more of a chore than something people do for fun? Is my layout too basic and not eye catching enough? Do I not try hard enough to redirect traffic from other websites to my own? Do I take myself too seriously? Or is it that what I talk about just not interesting?

For that matter, why do of the few readers I get only so few decide to comment? I’m very happy to both Pyrrhus and Banana for their comments, but it seems like for the most part anybody else that stumbles across my blog, even repeatedly, chooses to remain only an observer. Is that just the nature of most readers, or is there another underlying reason for that?

Do people think their comments would not be appreciated? Are people afraid of my reaction, or that of others? Do I not respond frequently and suitably enough to the comments I do get? Or are people just too busy to comment?

I don’t ask all these things because I want your pity, or because I am upset at the low readership and commenting, I do it only to find out how other people believe I could improve my blog. I will take any ideas you might have under consideration, how ever outlandish or critical.

Right now I feel I’m writing largely into a vacuum and though I really enjoy maintaining this blog, I imagine it might be even better if people provoke me through their own thoughts and ideas. I have always really appreciated those people that have taken the time to read and respond, even if I might not have shown it or argued against what ever they have said. The fact that I argue against your opinion means that you’ve provoked me and I’m immensely grateful for that.

So, if you have any suggestions please shout them out and if you don’t, well thank you for reading what I have to say.

2 comments:

  1. I usually just skim through your entries on my daily read, because I have allocated about a daily hour for news and blog-surfing. I find that your entries are too long to read carefully, but I am only saying this for myself as I have set a personal time limit for surfing the web.

    Perhaps you could try shorter, but more frequent entries (hey, two to four a day are allowed!) or separating your sentences in to more paragraphs.

    Otherwise, refer to the sites that you like reading, find out why you as a reader like it, and emulate those things.

    Whatever it is, just keep writing. That is what is important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your advice, I'll take it under consideration!

    ReplyDelete