Monday, April 21, 2008

This time about Portugal itself

So, apparently I didn’t answer the more important questions about Portugal, forget about me, what about the country? Fair enough. I spend far too much time thinking, writing and talking about myself anyway. People no doubt think I’m self-obsessed (which wouldn’t be very far from the truth, but fortunately we’re all self obsessed!)

I actually quite like Portugal. It’s a bit cheaper than the rest of Europe, a bit more backwards and a lot sunnier (I’m told. It’s been raining pretty steadily the last week). I like the nice white houses that you find everywhere – and the people are really nice. The only bad thing being that though they are nice they aren’t very pretty. The men are short and the women are, well, homely. I’ve been told it’s different in Lisbon; but then I’m not in Lisbon so I really can’t tell you that.

Last night we went out for a beer somewhere. Played pool against my brother in law, which he won – which puts us one-one on games with me having killed him in Jenga, that means chess will be the deciding game (yes, we really have nothing to do). Unfortunately the night life left something to be desired (can you say Neon?). I think that shouldn’t be blamed on the Portuguese, however, but on the British.

This has to be said – and I’m sorry if I offend any Brits with this – but when the British are uncouth they really are pond scum; white, pasty, loud, topless drunkards that prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that budget airliners are a really bad idea. Some people shouldn’t travel and most of them are British.

So I really should go explore Lisbon and see what I think of life there. Maybe work there for a bit during the summer months. I imagine working in Holliday resorts will make me more money than sticking around in Holland. Of course, there’s a few reasons why I might want to stick around in Holland (well, really one reason), so we’ll have to wait and see.

So, should you come to Portugal? Yes, I think you should. It seems nice, though I’d like to explore it properly with some friends rather than the family, to get a better idea. So, so far the verdict is still out, but it looks like all but one of the 12 has been convinced. Of course, we’ve all seen ‘twelve angry men’ so we all know what one opposing jury member can do, but hey, I’m blabbering again (maybe I shouldn’t write blog entries right after I’ve finished at the gym. I think the testosterone interferes with my thought process).

3 comments:

  1. Make sure you visit a Fado House in Lisboa and if you can scrounge the money take a personal guided tour of the country. We did when we were there on honeymoon and it was some of the best money I have ever spent. If you want email me and I will give you our guides info, his knowledge of the history and recent politics during the drive between cities was worth the money alone. Make sure you try some Bacalhau and some Paella.

    PS- I agree with your assessment of the women, I think I have met the only 2 attractive Portuguese women on the planet, and they are both from the Azores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, i've left already. I think I will go back though, so I'll check it out next time.

    As for the women, how come? Where did they all go? Did they more to Brazil?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure. They either left when Napoleon came if you associate beauty with wealth and class. Or the poverty Salazar brought onto the country simply never allowed it to modernize. The majority remained agg based and never got cosmopolitan in the Western sense. There were a few lookers in Lisboa but by far the better looking are in the islands or Brazil.

    ReplyDelete