Friday, February 02, 2007

Falling off the edge

'The World is Flat', by Thomas L. Friedman, was lent to me a couple of weeks ago and has proven an interesting read. It's concerned with the effects of globalisation on the world and what that means for all of us (though mainly for Americans).

It is completely opinion based and is about as close to a scientific study as most scientific studies are to enjoyable. Still, I found it entertaining and, in many ways, enlightening. Friedman has made some observations that seem to ring true to my arm chair commentator mind.

The main aim of the book is to make people aware of how the world is changing and what they might do to survive and thrive in the new environment. That’s good advice, because it seems that in many countries, especially western ones, people are really struggling and, what is worse, trying to block out the globalisation process going on.

That, I agree with Friedman, is a bad idea. Though it is just as much an opinion as what Freidman says, I am pretty much convinced that any way up for any country is through trade. Very few countries (I would even hazard no countries) have successfully made it to first world standard through closed borders and, another opinion I’m afraid, I bet that any country that tries to close its borders now will find its wealth decrease relative to the rest of the world.

So, ways must be found to make people adapt better to the world as it is now and as it will be tomorrow. Friedman has some ideas himself, but I’ll let you find that out for yourself.

Fortunately, some of those ideas he’s mentioned apply to me, so hopefully I’ll be able to use those to get ahead myself. So far I seem to be doing alright (though I will hardly be satisfied with only ending ‘middle class’. I have slightly more aspiration than that!)

No comments:

Post a Comment