Sunday, December 07, 2008

Age

Last Friday I went to a party at the Paradiso here in Amsterdam on the invitation of the son of the boss. I arrived there appropriately inebriated (okay, too inebriated, have it your way) and after a full cavity search (every crevice of my wallet was fully examined) I was allowed into the club.

The thing that struck me very quickly was the following fact, the average age in the place was somewhere between a half and a whole decade below my own. I felt, for lack of a better word, old.

I ended up dancing a bit, talking a bit and eventually getting accused by one of the friends of the son of the boss (who had a dog, who had a former owner, whose baby sister’s husband was related to the Grim Reaper) that I was talking way too much about our age difference. I think she was on the prowl and my talking up of our age difference sent her the obvious signal that I felt there might be a problem there (she would have been nine when I finished high school), but it set me a thinking.

Have I been complaining about my age a lot? Have I been remarking that I’m old? And the truth of the matter is, yes I have. The fact that I’m nearly thirty has indeed cropped up in conversation after conversation (especially after beer after beer). Apparently I am starting to feel like an old bastard.

And that’s absolutely ridiculous, of course. I’m not even thirty yet (less than half a year to go, but still) and they always say that the thirties are the besties (okay, they don’t, I just made it up and it doesn’t sound very good, but I’m just typing this off the cuff). I think the problem is more that I feel like I’m in a place of my life where I should have been at a much younger age. Most people do get their masters degree before they hit the third decade. Heck, there is a girl (woman?) in my class who’s already busy with her second masters and she’s still got another half decade before she hits her third decade (okay, she’s 25, that was rather roundabout I admit.)

So I’m not old (even though I feel I am) I’m just in a life situation where everybody else is a great deal younger. So maybe I shouldn’t accuse myself of being old, maybe I should tell everybody they’d better hurry up and catch up.

Have an official decree written up that I’m slowing down my aging, in order to reduce my advantage.

The advantage being, of course, that; sorry, what? Yes, yes, of course. Sorry guys, I’ve got to go.

5 comments:

  1. Heh-heh. I thoroughly enjoyed this. You're not an old bastard until your're at least over 60, so you've got a way to go yet.

    Thanks for you commnet on my blog. I'm honored to be listed on your blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I already said your own blog, you're not old when you're sixty, you're old when you've got more memories than dreams.

    The honour is all mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THIRTY! Pshaw- just a baby! You are correct in that the thirties, as I remember them ,were the best for frolic and indecisive unattached behaviours funding the memory bank of OLD age . Have as much fun as is possible - Do not, I repeat- NOT take things too seriously for the next decade! Unless it is , of course, seriously having a great time all the time.
    -Advice from a truly old person with an overflowing fund in her bank.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, that means a lot to me...

    ReplyDelete