Sunday, November 16, 2008

A dark mirror

Did you know that every time I go to my blog I check my site meter? If you click on it you can find out from where people are visiting, how many and what link they followed to get here. I click on it and I try to imagine who these people might be that come here to read what I’ve got to say. I wonder if I know them; if they know me.

Some people I recognise. Friends that I know read what’s going on. They generally access from the same server and follow the same links. There’s a couple of links from Singapore, the States and Indonesia now. Then there’s a few visits per week from Britain, Germany and Portugal. Friends and family keeping tabs on me (and me keeping tabs on them in turn). Some of the addresses I can’t place and I can’t help but wonder ‘who are you? Do I know you? And if I don’t, what are you like? Why do you choose to follow my life?’

And I’m mystified. What is it about what I write here that keeps people coming back? What is it in my life that makes people want to keep up to speed with what’s going on in my life? And why does it always seem to hover around about seven people a day? Do these people read everything that I write? Or do they just skim? Do they like what I like? When I’m proud of an entry, does it move them too, or is it something else? Do they like the soul searching, or the philosophy, or the science, or the honesty?

Do I intrigue them? Make them laugh? Cry? Worry? Do they think I’m arrogant, smart, or bitter?

Who are you? And why do you care about me?

It’s one of those mysteries in my life. And I realise it will probably have to stay that way. In the past I’ve tried getting people to comment, speak and reveal themselves. Almost nobody ever does. They say that for every person that speaks on the internet, ten listen quietly. That’s always amazed me; but then I’ve never been terribly good at being quiet. I’m always out there sharing my opinion, whether you want it or not.

Do I mind it, that I don’t know who you are? Well, it keeps things interesting. I can imagine that you’re all beautiful, intelligent and important. That my words make a difference. Or I can imagine that my words help people that need a bit of support. That somebody might find solace here. That somebody might occasionally go, ‘it’s hard for him too.’

And what am I going to do about it if I do mind? When I throw my thoughts out there into cyberspace, it becomes a common good. To be consumed and considered at everybody and anybody’s leisure, in the open or in obscurity.

And even though they (you) stay in anonymity, they (you) are still there. They (you) still care. It does help, you know, that little extra tick added to the counter of ‘how many have been here before’.

My words matter to somebody. In fact, they matter to at least seven people a day.

8 comments:

  1. Dude, you only talk here and reply here but you don't say much elsewhere, specifically, in my beautiful vunderfool blog itself. So you are guilty. Guilty!

    GUILTY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uhr... I wasn't blaming anybody?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No me not implying you blamed anyone. I was just out to yank your chains. Good to hear that you are enjoying uni. But what you are studying may be small in size, but it uses up most of our energy. Cheeky lil bugger, hey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was starting to suspect something like that. The thing is, this is where I write about my life and right now my studies /are/ my life. What to do?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Noooo... what I meant was you are studying about how brains work - the mind. And compared to the size of our bodies, brains are tiny small. Two per cent of our body weight. Yet, they use up like 20 per cent of our energy - and 20 per cent of our blood supply!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, that's true and scientists still don't know why we have them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are too busy doing things as opposed to you busy sitting around rotating between coffe, beer and cigarettes (do you still smoke?) while collecting and organising experiences and make sense of them on our behalf. That’s why we are here… and I bet that one day your thinking will be in demand at a hefty fee. TC, Colomba

    ReplyDelete