Monday, July 07, 2008

Home

I’ve started to explore Amsterdam proper. Friday night I went out with a colleague from work to this weird ass club for an hour – where I proceeded to drink too much (that seems to be my specialty) and meet the brother of one of the few friends I actually do have in Amsterdam, which is quite amusing. After all, it was the second time I went out in this town and I really do know only a handful of people, yet right there, into my path, stumbles one of them. I’m pretty sure that if I wasn’t hung over today I could say that in a much more flowery way, but I’m hung over today as well.

But first Saturday.

Saturday I was going to go home early (as it’s not a lot of fun working on a hangover) but then this dude suddenly stopped outside of my café just as I was closing shop and yelled my name. I didn’t recognise him, but I assumed (fairly I believe) that if he knows my name I might well know him as well. I did. It turned out to be my cousin, who I hadn’t seen in seven years. They were going out. It was rather hard for me to say ‘naw, I gotta work tomorrow in the afternoon, so thanks but no thanks’. So I went out again. Again came back at some unspeakable hour, again drank too much.

Then Yesterday was supposed to be the day where I got to go home early. I had all my work done at a quarter past twelve and was really looking forward to hitting the sack. I go down into the kitchen and ask ‘how much time do you guys still need?’ the answer was ‘another hour and a half’

Apparently the look of defeat on my face was quite comical, I was told later. You see, I can’t leave until everybody is finished. As the guy in charge I’m the last out of the shop. So I had to hang around and wait. Fortunately, some of my serving colleagues decided to wait with me (with friends) and we sat around and talked shop. I didn’t drink too much – but with the exhaustion from the other two days added up (and the problem with still sleeping in other people’s living room) I am as good as hung over today.

It is nice though that I’m slowly, but certainly meeting more and more people. I hadn’t really had the time for that when I first arrived and now I can finally start to build up a proper life here. After all, a house, a job and an education are nice – but they don’t make a town your home. It’s the people that you know that make it your home. If you don’t know good people, then you won’t really have a good time. It’s also ultimately the people that get you where you want to go.

Right now I’d really like to go back to sleep. I go snooze on the couch.

3 comments:

  1. "It is nice though that I’m slowly, but certainly meeting more and more people. I hadn’t really had the time for that when I first arrived and now I can finally start to build up a proper life here. After all, a house, a job and an education are nice – but they don’t make a town your home. It’s the people that you know that make it your home. If you don’t know good people, then you won’t really have a good time."

    -- I TOTALLY agree. Glad you're on your way. I'm happy to report that I am (very) slowly on mine, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude. this is the first time i read your blog and i can actually understand what you are writing about (i mean intelectually). guess this is good news (or issit i became smart?). Happy you doing well. Armando

    ReplyDelete
  3. Banana: and I'm happy to hear it!

    Armando: Became smart? That makes it sound like you used to be stupid! You never gave me the impression that you were that. Glad to hear from you. Good to sense your doing well as well!

    ReplyDelete