Friday, June 13, 2008

The Cafe Job

Isn’t it funny that the only time I’ve spent talking about my job has been when I just got it? Especially considering that I really do spend quite a lot of time there. Last week I worked four days (at an average of more than eight hours a day) and this week I’ll be spending five days there. I think that the reason is, quite simply, that it is just a job. It’s a way to make money so that I can continue doing the other things in my life that I need to do.

Not that I don’t like my job; it’s actually quite entertaining! Nor is it that I’m not learning anything; I’m learning a great deal about people management and other things involved in small businesses. It’s just that I know that ultimately I can do better than this. I’m not ashamed of the job, there is nothing wrong with giving good service to customers, I just want to do things that make more of a difference than serving individuals (exceedingly good) pieces of pie.

Still, when I’m at my workplace I give myself completely. There’s something I’ve realised: when you’re working in a service industry (like bartending, banking or sales) if you give you, you get so much back! If you smile, work hard and try your best – people will appreciate it and send back energy that will keep you going and going and going, till long after ordinary batteries have run out of steam.

What I’ve noticed, though, is that it doesn’t just work with customers, it also works with other staff members. I’ve got numerous complements; either directly or through management. People just like working with me. They haven’t told me exactly why they like working with me, but they do.

My personal hypothesis is that they like working with me for a number of reasons. I work hard, I have fun, I don’t complain and I lead by example. Another thing is that I have a much more nuanced understanding of people’s moods and attitudes. This was forced into me through my years in Asia and my time spent learning how to read people. I now often know how people feel about me (and when they are unhappy) when they think those feelings are perfectly hidden. You can’t believe how great of an advantage that is - when you can start altering your behavior, before people have even started complaining and when you already have an answer to a person’s question before they’ve asked it (because you knew it was coming).

Of course I might be completely wrong. It has happened before and it will no doubt happen again. Still, I don’t think so. I think I’ve got a pretty good grasp on what’s going on and I think I’m going to do alright.

The question is more, how long will I keep working there? Well, I don’t really know. Probably till I start my university (They pay isn’t the best in the world, but it’s a good environment and I feel I can actually make a difference here. This is the kind of place that I can actually make better).

Plus, of course, I’m learning and that is ultimately a vital key to every job. Well, at least for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment