Saturday, May 12, 2007

Movies

I thought I’d make a short summary of some of the more interesting movies I’ve seen in the last few months. I’ve seen a great deal more, but I won’t bore you with the mediocre and the bad.

Children of Men: This was a very interesting movie, with as the central premise the idea that somewhere in our near future we stop having children and the impact that that will have on humanity as a whole. The movie is British (I think) which directly gives it a very different feel from most Hollywood flicks. Well worth your time, don’t miss this one.

Next: Interesting premise (a man that can see two minutes into the future) not terribly well executed. Though some of the graphics in the movie were well thought out and the movie was entertaining, I did feel that the story could have been done better than it was. It was an attempt to marry an intriguing concept with an action flick mentality, which is a strange choice. Still, not bad.

Stranger Than Fiction: I watched this one without any knowledge of its story before hand and found it very entertaining. Will Ferell finally showed me that he can actually act. It’s a great movie to watch if you don’t know anything about it. Very Charlie Kaufmanesque.

The Last King of Scotland: Excellent movie and Whitaker certainly deserved the Oscar he won. It was wonderful how the movie’s style slowly changes as the themes in it turn from light hearted youth to the horrors of genocide and madness. I personally thought it was much better than Blood Diamond.

No comments:

Post a Comment