Friday, November 03, 2006

Oh God, I think I'm an Atheist

Most people talk about what they take away with them from a trip abroad. It seems I am not most people, for I would like to explain what I left behind. I left behind my belief in a God. On my trip I brought Richard Dawkins' book 'The God Delusion', which, as you can probably tell, is his attempt to show that there are good and valid arguments for why you don't need to believe in a God to have a carefully thought out and agreeable perspective on the world around you. In fact, he even argues that to believe in God demonstrates that you really haven't thought things out far enough.

He convinced me. From my position in the middle (around that vague area called agnosticism) he pulled me sharply to the atheist camp. Now I don't think anybody is completely convinced there is no God (that is where reason is overtaken by another form of fundamentalism), but he took me just short of as close as you can go.

Now I foretell right now that I'm going to get a lot of flak for this in the future, but I believe am now an Atheist.

No comments:

Post a Comment